Avocado is one of those health craze foods that is going around at the moment (it's full of "good fat", whatever that means). But there is no denying that it's healthy, and personally I find the taste of it a little too overwhelming by itself - so this recipe is a great way to get some in your diet, with the added bonus of egg and cherry tomatoes to get a load of those good ol' nutrients in you.
I find that all the flavours offset each other perfectly and provide a really tasty, healthy dish that is perfect for lunch or brunch. This is a quick meal that's really filling, and it's also a really good way to use up cherry tomatoes if they have gone a bit too soft to use in salads!
- Half a ripe Avocado
- 1 Egg
- 8-10 Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 small clove of Garlic
- 1 piece of Bread
- Fresh Basil (if you have any in the house, but if not it's just as nice without)
- Vinegar (Cider or White Wine)
1. Grab your Cherry Tomatoes and chop them all in half. Then get your small Garlic clove and press down on it with the side of a large knife - this will make it easier to peel. Chop off a small part of each end, then chop it in half lengthways and remove the green stalk in the middle (the green stalk is the bit that makes your breath smell!). Then put the Cherry Tomatoes in a pan, and the Garlic once it has gone through a Garlic Press. If you have any fresh Basil in the house, this is where you throw that in as well (just finely chop it first). Put it on a low heat with a splash of Olive Oil and leave it to cook, stirring now and then.
2. Now grab your slice of bread and wack it in the Toaster, and fill a saucepan half-full with boiling water ready for your Poached Egg (put the pan on a medium heat). Whilst it's on, cut your Avocado in half and put one half away to use another time (just make sure it's covered in some way so it doesn't go brown!).
Your water should be boiling by now, and here's how I nail a perfect poached egg. Get a timer ready, and then add a small splash of Vinegar to your water, grab a fork and stir the water in the pan really fast so it's swirling and creating a whirlpool effect. Then add your egg to the water, the swirling will help the egg bind together neatly so you don't have white strings of egg all over the pan - and it's also easier to get out. Then cook the egg on a medium heat for exactly 2 1/2 minutes.
3. Your toast should be done now, so grab a fork and mush the inside of your Avocado half on the toast. Your tomatoes should also be nearly ready as well, you'll know they are done if they have gone really soft. They produce quite a lot of liquid because of the seeds, so use a spoon to just take them out of the pan and put them on top of your Avocado toast - rather than pouring them on.
4. When your egg is done take it out of the pan with a slotted spoon and let the excess water drain off. Then just put it on top of your Avocado and Cherry Tomatoes!
There you have it! You can mix it up by adding a bit of chilli to the Avocado, or maybe putting some spinach on the Toast as well. I know my boyfriend likes to add a slice of Ham between the Avocado and Cherry Tomatoes. I find one slice is filling enough for me, but you could easy do two and use up the other half of your Avocado.
Enjoy! I hope you're as much of a fan of this lunch as I am.